Friday, June 13, 2008

5k run

Recently during phone conversation My mom was talking about how she is trying out different things, hobbies wise. She told me not to wait until I'm 5o years olkd to try to figure out what I like. This really struck something in me, because I struggle with this non-stop. I truly don't have a hobby, and truly feel I am pretty bad at a lot of things. I do love being a mom, and have told myself , I just need to accept that, and be satisfied. However, that night something " clicked". I have always enjoyed " exercising". I remember at like9 years old I begged my mom to buy me the " Barbie" workout video, man did I love that. I have since worked at 5 different gyms, and have taken a variety of classes. I love it, it's my passion/hobbyas weird as that sounds. I know many people despise it.I love how it makes me feel more than anything. ( don't think I'm a health nut or anything, I'm far from, I eat pretty bad, and seem to lack self-control =( SOOOO I have decided to sign up for a 5k run. I would LOVE to do a "mini-traithalon" but they are all next month... no such way to train for that, but that will be my goal is to someday complete one. I'm not some person who wants to complete a Marathon at some record speed,,,I simply want to challenge myself. I'm starting at a 5k... which is a tad over 3 miles. At this point I am not near being able to run that.... so It's a good goal. I am excited... even though it's so small compared to these big races. It is on July 24th, along lake Michigan during a local festival. Milwaukee is known for it's absurd amount of festivals, so there are tons going on, I plan to do the " Race for the Cure " for Breast Cancer a 5k also along the lakefront at the end of September. Sooo. wish me luck as I plug along on the ol treadmill , and then take it outdoors.

2 comments:

mom said...

Yeahhhhhhh I'm so proud of you. There is nothing like motherhood. And it certainly uses every bit of your imagination, creativity, and intellect not to mention your energy and time. It expands your capacity to love, accept, encourage and forgive. It challenges you beyond yourself for the sake of the little ones God has put into your care. It is easy to lose yourself in the midst of this wonderful, astounding, (a lot of times, tiring) calling. Motherhood by its nature is a selfless role. However, we mustn't forget that we have many roles in life and each need to be nurtured and challenged and grow to be all we can be not just as mother, but as wife, friend, sister, aunt, niece, grandmother, and a woman. We each have a need to find that niche that proclaims us unique to ourselves.
Happy running
Love
mom

Colleen said...

I can't believe you are going to run 3 miles!!!! You are so brave, but I know you can do it! I struggle with this too sometimes, I know I like to scrapbook and read but I never make time for myself to do that. I always make a mental note to fit them in. I haven't done any scrapbooking since Olivia was born so I have almost a year to scrapbook:( I need to set myself a goal like you and get moving! Thanks for inspiring me! Miss you!